Parent Academy educates parents on how to foster a lasting, positive educational environment and school partnership for their children both at home and at school through proven activities and lessons. Clovis Unified and the Department of Supplemental Services offer Parent Academy for school sites throughout the school year at no cost to parents. Participating school sites tailor their academies to fit the needs of their school site and community.
Parent Academy will provide strategies to support, advocate, and empower parents to engage fully in the educational lives of their children.
Parent Academy is designed to create a bridge between home, school, and into post-secondary education. Multiple topics are offered with the below key goals in mind:
- How grades are used for college admittance and which classes are important for children planning to attend college.
- How to navigate our school system.
- To gain knowledge vital to success of your student in mind, body, and spirit.
- To create ongoing dialogue with their students surrounding academic successes and challenges.
- Family engagement and involvement are a commitment that instills habits of learning and collaboration. When families partner with schools, teachers, and the community, their children succeed.
Parent Expectations and Student Achievement
Exceptional student achievement and social adjustments are influenced by parent expectations. Parents of high-achieving students often set high standards for their child's educational involvement.
- Supervised childcare is available to all school-age children of participating parents.
- Participants will be provided with a light dinner and refreshments at each Parent Academy.
- Support can be offered in multiple languages as needed by NCLB compliant Clovis Unified Bilingual Assistant Aides.
- Most Parent Academy events are site specific, however there are district-wide Academies held on the dates listed above at the Professional Learning Center open to all parents.
- Parent Academies with a series of modules have the option of a Graduation Ceremony for participating parents. Graduations are during the final session and include a Certificate of Completion and Medal to the graduating parent. This gives students the opportunity to see their parents succeed.